9.7.14

Oxidizing jewelry using Sulfur of Liver

Jewelry Inspiration: Day 3. Since we are talking jewelry this week. I thought it would be a great opportunity to share with you girls and guys how I use Sulfur of Liver to oxide some of my really shiny sterling pieces (because a girl gots to have some rustic in her life every now and then, right). This process is very simple, simply follow along with the photos and brief instructions
and you won't go wrong, lets begin
4 Fl oz tub of Sulfur of Liver (see pic #1 for materials)
You will definitely need ventilation, this stuff stinks and the odor is very strong
so open a window or two
Only a pea size amount will do the job
You will then need to dilute the SOL in about 1 cup of HOT water
(Oxidization is a science, haha)
Stir well ..
 Don't wear forget your eye protection
 Pick your jewelry: make sure it has been cleaned (free of oils/film)
 Dunk it, until you get that rustic look you're looking for
 (I normally do mine in 1 minute increments)
 It's oxidizing ...
 Next, dunk it in about 1/2 - 1 cup of water and 2 tbsp baking soda
 This will neutralize the oxidation process preventing the oxidation from continuing,
take out once the piece has reached the desired color. I love this part
 After I feel comfortable, I tend to dunk 4-5 items at a time
 This is the tent I'm looking for
 Dark and lovely is how I like majority of my pieces to look
! Magic
 Have fun with it, but always remember to use precaution when playing with 
chemicals to oxide metals, hope you've enjoyed it